Since the world is world and the translator is translator, one of the biggest headaches facing us are the documents that we can not edit directly. Often customers send us orders with files in comfortable formats for distribution, as, for example, images, embedded tables, or the dreaded PDF. It is an extremely popular file type but that, however, raises many difficulties when it comes to extract the text to work on it, edit it and translate it.
Options to translate a PDF file
Until recently, when we needed to work with a PDF file, and after checking, dismayed that the customer could not send the editable document that had been created, we had two alternatives «professionals»:
- One: use Adobe Acrobat Professional Edition to be able to edit the file without problems. No problems, apart from important disbursement which is the full license of this program, clear.
- Two: use a program of OCR (recognition optical of characters) to extract the text and graphics, such as OmniPage, Able2Doc and other less known. If the text was simple and clear sources, used to work fine, but oh, my friend!: If the document used fonts, line settings or graphics that are out of the ordinary, began for us a real ordeal to create a minimally decent text which we It allowed to use our preferred CAT tool, either Wordfast or any other.
- The third option, call «white flag surrender», was to abandon all hope of extracting text, after dozens of attempts, and make the translation in a way completely «handmade», creating a text document in White to go writing translation as we read the PDF of origin at point-blank range. It was not of the most productive, sincerely.
- Now, thanks to a new technology of extraction of text, Wordfast Pro 5 allows you to work directly with PDF files and create editable translation projects without resorting to third-party tools.
· Steps to translate a PDF file with Wordfast Pro
- Nothing easier: on the Wordfast Pro splash screen (the list of projects), is enough to drag the PDF file to anywhere on the screen from our browser. Immediately, Wordfast will recognize the file and the pop-up window will appear to us to create a New project, in which we will define the language pair and the rest of details concerning the TM, glossaries and additional resources. The translation editor will show you directly the text ready for editing, and at the end of our work you can save the translated document, it will keep the original PDF format. Easy, right?